IVF or the in-vitro fertilization is a concept which is followed in many hospitals and fertilization centers all around the globe for people who are infertile in reproduction. Due to some reason or the other, there are many people who are commonly affected with the infertility problems (Also Read: Male Infertility). There is a major drawback in determining the cause of infertility since in some cases, the reason behind the problem cannot be found at any cost. Hence it is wise that we identify the exact reason lying on the problem and can be rectified with some measures. In this article, we will have look at “What is IVF” and some other overall facts about IVF. Do read Infertility treatment options for Women also.
What is In-Vitro Fertilization?
It is a process of fertilization where the sperms from the male and the eggs of the female are combined and preserved in a laboratory for the process of fertilization and then implanted into the uterus of the woman to enhance the chances of pregnancy.
People who can use IVF:
The process of IVF, however cannot be undergone by all the patients but only the patients with infertility among men and women who are infertile due to anatomic problems in the uterus cannot avail the services of IVF.It is most commonly used among couples who are above the age of 35 or the couples who did not attain the state of pregnancy even after trying for a year and may have one or more defects in their immune system. Some of the common defects are,
- The women who have their Fallopian tubes which are blocked or some kind of distorted pelvic anatomy leading to the pelvic adhesion. Women who are planning for tubal reversal surgery caused due to the tubal ligation can surely make use of the treatment method. Men who are planning for reverse mastectomy surgery can also undergo this treatment.
- Low sperm count or minimal amount of transportation of sperms at the time ejaculation which can be solved by intracytoplasmic injection which has the ability to increase the sperm count and are also capable of producing sperms at a healthy rate.Intrauterine insemination which has lead to the failure of ovarian stimulation can also be considered as a reason.
- Females who are above the age of 35 can commonly use this technique since, age being a risk for lacking the power to fertilize the eggs. In some cases, such treatments may be vital and useful even though no surety can be given about the miscarriage at any levels.
- Severe endometriosis and unexplained fertility where there is no improvement after using the process of insemination and also unexplained fertility problems where the root cause for the problem is yet to be identified.
- There is reduction in the number of ovary eggs among women, usually called the reduced ovarian reserve. Several screening tests are done very often to monitor the quantity and the quality of the eggs. In such scenarios, the quality and the quantity can be improved with the help of this technique.
How IVF improve Fertility?
The In-Vitro Fertilization mainly contributes in increasing the chances of reproduction for people who cannot attain naturally.
- It is often considered to be a number game which gets difficult as the age of female gets older.
- In this process, we remove the eggs and carefully monitor in the laboratory after combining it with the sperm and culturing for few days to check the fertilization process. After successful completion of the above formalities, the eggs are placed in the uterus which influences pregnancy.
- When there is some fertilized eggs remaining in after the process, they may utilized in the future by the couples.
Uses Of IVF:
With the help of IVF procedure, we gain some of the following benefits,
- The aggression can be made to stimulate the production of multiple follicles and eggs with the help of these medications.Usually only one follicle naturally develops along the egg during the menstrual cycle.
- Easily the capturing of ovaries can be done once when they are ready and also the release and tubal pickup of the egg is usually not efficient naturally.
- Since natural methods of fertilization is always disturbed by some factors, these techniques can be used effectively to encourage and attain the fertilization of the eggs in women.
- Culturing can be done for several days and only the best fertilized eggs are picked for getting placed in the uterus, which is not the scenario that occurs in the natural processes.
- The transfer of the embryos and the placement of these embryos are usually placed in the middle of the uterus bypassing the tubal transfer of the embryo to the uterus and placing it in the uterine cavity.