This is one among the common problems that occur among the men or even the young people who are very much affected with this problem and many of them are unaware about the problem. The problem is mainly caused due to the changes in the hormonal effects in the human body and at times even toddlers may become prone to this syndrome. In this article, let us see what is gynecomastia, its symptoms and other information’s including the risks and the complications that are involved in the process and the terminology to diagnose the syndrome will also be clear in this article.
What is Gynecomastia?
The syndrome can be quoted as a condition where the male either aged or young start to develop the growth of breasts in them. This is usually a natural cause attained by the deficiency of hormone level in their immune system. The testosterone and the estrogen are the two main hormones which are the major cause for this defect. The syndrome can occur to men at any stage of their life cycle. It may be at the time of their birth, or at the time when they become men (puberty) or even at the old age.
Basically, there is no need to get afraid of this symptom since it is not a hectic issue to be handled but may make you difficult to cope up with at the later stages. The symptoms of this syndrome are men may feel some irritation or pain in their breast. At times, men may feel uncomfortable due to the pain and would not be able to control their emotions in front of others. The suggestion given by the medical experts as solution for this problem is either surgical procedure or regular medication while the former may give a sense of quick relief.
The natural symptoms which are found for people having this syndrome are
- The cells and the tissues in the breast gland become abnormal in size. It is advisable to consult a physician if you have any symptoms of pain or inflammation in the breast region.
- If your breast starts to show signs of tenderness, then it may also be the symptoms for the syndrome Gynecomastia. Hence, if there are any signs of tenderness in your breast, it should be immediately taken care of by a medical practitioner to diagnose the infection.
The major causes which are cited for the reasons of this syndrome are as follows, however the hormones are the main cause for the occurrence of Gynecomastia.
- In some people, the immune system has a natural tendency to change the hormone levels in it determining the status of the baby in the womb. They are highly prone to get spread to infants, or at the time of puberty or among the aged men.
- The medicines we consume for various health issues may also be one of the cause for the development of this syndrome in human beings. The medicines we consume for severe health related issues are usually compositions of anti-biotic and steroids.
- Some have the habit of consuming medicines sold at the streets and some are addicted to alcohol consumption. These two are also major causes for developing gynecomastia. The medicines that are sold on the streets may prove to be beneficial for time-being but may produce adverse side-effects at a later stage. Similarly, those who are addicted to alcohol consumption are very much prone to getting affected by this syndrome. The reason being, alcohol contains several chemical which may induce the reverse effects of developing female hormones in the body of men.
Treatment and Drugs:
There is no special drug which can completely eradicate the syndrome from the root but may have a control over the problem. Also the drug can only be prescribed only on the basis of the health condition that has been the cause for developing the syndrome in a patient. For people who are in their young age, a series of continuous evaluations may be required to check the improvement in health for a particular period of time.
In worst cases, surgeries can be the only remedy to treat and completely eradicate the syndrome.
- Liposuction can be one of the major surgeries which can be performed for removing the excess cells or tissue layers around the breast region in most men. The cost is also very much less when compared to other methods of surgical procedure and the recovery time post operation is also very less.
- Mastectomy is also a type of surgery for curing the problem. In this surgical process, the glands which are old and weak are mainly removed. The major advantage of this surgery is recovery time is the least among all surgeries since only small endoscopic incision cuts are made on the body. Hence there is a reduced amount of side-effects in this process.
Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery:
The surgery cost for this syndrome around the globe in an average may range from $4000 to $6000 US dollars based on the country where you perform the surgery. The cost mentioned here is only the cost of the operation and there are also other charges which will be levied upon the patients based upon the procedure and their response to the treatment given by the physician. The charges for the surgeon will always have an increasing rate based on the experience of the surgeon.
Even though it may be embarrassing for many men to witness and suffer from the problem, it would be a wise move to consult a physician and get some treatment for the problem. There is nothing to get ashamed of this problem, since it is a biological change which cannot be stopped by humans at any cost.