Gastric Bypass is a surgery that is aimed to decrease the size of the stomach and also the intake of the food. This is also said to be the restrictive surgery. This surgery has been called rightly so because it restricts the food intake and the calories indirectly by reducing the size of the stomach. It is done by either laparoscopic means or by big incisions. The fat and the skin of the stomach is reduced considerably to the size of a tube, but not in the real sense. This does not affect the normal routine of the person. They can perform their normal duties without any discrepancies.
The human beings can be greatly benefitted by undergoing the surgery. This is a form of the bariatric surgery and they are a bit complex too. It has the misfortune of having several names while in essence it is the same procedure. The gastric bypass surgery is not the means of reducing the weight of the body. But it can serve to achieve the purpose. But the effects of the gastric bypass surgery can be nullified when the person tries to eat much like before.
It was the standard procedure in the last decade but now it has changed much due to the imperfect coordination between the doctors and the advancement in technology. But some certain forms of the operations have been accepted by most of the doctors and hence they have been widely used in the modes of operation of the patients. The laparoscopic procedure of the operation is better when compared to the open surgery because it involves only less complications when compared to the other. The gastric bypass has withstood the time and with the advancements in technology, it is speculated that it still will continue its miraculous performances.
Pros of Gastric Bypass
The gastric bypass surgery has quite a few advantages. Though they are quite overwhelming, they are not appreciable.
- The gastric bypass surgery was originally used to combat the weight issues. The people will tend to lose weight even after two years after the surgery. This is a good sign of the surgery.
- The tremendous weight loss will also heal the other problems of life such as sleep problems, heart problems and diabetes.
- The overall mental and psychological problems of the patients will be improved.
- The amount of weight shed is greater than the results obtained from the gastric sleeve. So it has become very reliable.
- It is a surgery that mixes the procedures of malabsorption and restrictive surgery. So it is a good mix of the positive benefits that a person can get.
- It has a good record that speaks for itself rather than the other medical surgeries that are ineffective.
- The results of the gastric bypass surgery can be applicable for all times to come as it was at the time of its first inception.
- This surgery provides perfect control to the person to perform the various activities efficiently.
- The patients who undergo the operation are not selected by random but are chosen only if they satisfy certain criteria. So there are no chances for the person to be affected negatively.
- Many insurance companies cover the costs that are needed for the surgery. So the patients need not worry about the prospects of the surgery.
- Once the surgery is done the person must bear it in mind and strive to bear the temperature for the long run. Only then the person will be conscious and strive better to reap the benefits.
- The disadvantages that have been associated with the gastric bypass is only a possibility and are not factual. So it is said that these are not worthy of recognition.
Cons of Gastric Bypass
The disadvantages of the gastric bypass surgery outweigh the advantages. The list is very good to know. They are:
- The person develops deficiencies of vitamins.
- The iron content in the blood begins to drop down and that results in the problem of anemia.
- The ulcers develop at the anastomotic region of the body. They do not heal properly and are likely to persist a person permanently.
- The skin color of most patients will be altered. The color will change to that of ash.
- The chronic diseases will easily affect a person.
- The stools and farts of the people will become very smelly.
- There are chances for the regaining of weight by a person after the surgery by all means.
- Each doctor will have his own methods of performing the operation.
- The person will become unadapted to several other medications.
- The person has to be confined to several laboratory tests and treatments after that.
- Often in some cases, permanent lifelong changes in diet and living have to be made for the sustainment of the results of the surgery.
- The patients cannot escape from the dumping syndrome. It is a feeling experienced by a person when he has consumed any food for which he has developed intolerance. Sometimes sugary foods and those rich in fibers can also cause the dumping syndrome.
- Due to the tremendous loss in weight, the stones get formed in the gall and kidneys.
- The body cannot get the normal amount of nutrients that is essential for its proper working and so the body develops malnutrition.
This surgery has most number of pros and as well as cons. But it is astounding that this surgery is still being performed in the world. The people must have a thorough knowledge of their body and talk to their doctors about their possibilities of getting these risks in particular. It is also important to clearly understand the surgery before attempting to undergo one.