Gastric bands are a procedure that involves the insertion of a flexible band around the abdomen that creates a tiny bag or sac in the upper part of it. This is done by making several tiny incisions in the stomach region. Post the insertion of the band the quantity of the food consumed is decreased. Therefore the patient will have the fuller sensation very fast by eating a small quantity of the food. It helps to lose weight.
These practical bands are generally referred to the patients who are remarkably obese and possess a body mass index of about forty or more. But as a general practice it is also recommended to those who have a BMI greater than thirty six or who have a complication such as high sugar level and high level of blood pressure.
In some instances prior a surgery, the patient is tested to have undergone less weight loss methods like general exercise, eating healthy foods and non-invasive medical treatments. If all the pre-tests fail then the patient becomes eligible to the surgery that fits a gastric band in the abdomen region of the stomach. The various factors associated with the gastric banding that remarkably contribute to the advantages and disadvantages of the gastric banding.
Gastric Band Advantages
The surgery of the gastric banding has many benefits to its credit. So many people opt to choose the gastric band surgery to be fitted in the abdomen region.
- The patient will be asked to stay back in the hospital for a day only. Majority of the patients will be asked to leave the hospital post the operation but some people will be asked to stay depending on their body condition.
- The band is flexible. It needs no further surgery to correct the surgery. The sterile salt water is either appended or removed according to the need of the surgery. It is done through the access lines or port that lies beneath the skin. Changes made to the saline water content can either change the shape of the stroma or the pouch opening that gets created by the band.
- Unlike the other surgery, the recovery time is very less. Only three weeks is needed by the patient to restore the normal health again. But it is misleading as all patients are unique and they change from person to person.
- The follow up checks are necessary for the patients to fully recover. The patients often need to go back to the hospitals many times to have their bands adjusted. They also get performed the blood tests that makes sure that the patients assimilate the nutrients into the body to have a healthy body. These visits may take a lot of time but make the patients to feel great and safe.
- The costs involved in the gastric band surgery normally are low than the costs involved in the gastric bypass. The costs for the gastric band surgery are between five thousand and eight thousand pounds.
- If the patient gets affected or feels discomfort with the gastric bands, they can removed without trouble any further.
Cons of Gastric Band
Similar to the many medical surgeries this surgery too has certain considerations that need to be taken into account before undergoing this banding surgery.
- An obese person has the chances of being affected by some of the general risks like blood clots. The problems associated with weight like diabetes and hypertension can make a person develop a higher chance of infections. The infections and the injuries to the internal organs are all the problems associated with the surgery of gastric bands. The band leaks blood that needs to be substituted. But this is a very rare phenomenon.
- The lifestyle needs to be changed after the placement of the gastric bands. The diet plans too needs to be changed. The food needs to be eaten in a low quantity and to start things liquid foods must be had at the beginning. Primarily the foods rich in vitamins need to be consumed. These nutrients or its supplements will have to be taken on a permanent basis.
- The surgeons will prescribe the foods that have to be taken before and after the surgery, what and how much foods will have to be eaten and the quantity will also be prescribed to the patients. The various changes to the lifestyle include abstaining from alcohol, quitting smoking and exercise regimes. These have to be readdressed. The patients who wish to undergo the changes will have to first think if they will be able to follow these lifestyle changes.
- The patient will develop the chances of regaining weight. The surgeries that aim to lose the weight will never ensure the loss of weight on a permanent basis. Some people lose much weight while some lose inadequate weight and so they will have to manage their bands and foods respectively. The maximum reasons for the success for the gastric bands relies on the effort put by the people to lead a smart life. Without this there are no chances for the lost weight to be reversed.
This is not the only choice for those seeking to lose weight. Besides there are many other non-invasive and non-drug medications like the fitting of the gastric balloon. Healthy foods and physical exercises can be a key. The people must choose to select a program that suggests the people to lead a healthy life and to counteract the weight.