Dysfunctional Uterine is an abnormal uterine bleeding that is varied from the normal bleeding that occurs as a part of the menstrual cycle of women. The menstrual cycle is brought about by signals of hormones. Abnormal uterine bleeding happens when the hormonal signals of the menstrual cycle are not triggered or followed by the body. This results in oscillating menstrual periods that are hefty and petite, recognizable or unpredictable smaller and larger cycles.
Normal monthly menstrual cycles remove out the endometrial lining, which is the blood filled layer of tissue that develops in the uterus at all months in expectation of a realistic pregnancy. In case of ovulation not setting in, the periods are delayed allowing the lining to become bigger and thicker. Due to these reasons, delayed periods are characterized by heavy flows at times. Lighter periods may indicate an endometrial lining that is unbalanced and oozing, either due to inadequate hormonal levels or thick linings.
Factors that cause Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding :
- Abnormal hormone levels caused by thyroids and increased prolactin hormone.
- Certain medicines can also cause this as a result of side effect.
- Over physical exertion from physical activity or loss weight drastically.
- Obese condition of the body.
- Psychological conditions like stress, depression and illness.
- At the onset or commencement of menstruation in adolescent girls because it takes time for the normal cycles of ovulation to develop.
- At the time of menopause.
Symptoms Of Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding :
- Irregular bleeding at different times of the month that lasts for varying periods of time.
- The flow of uterine blood will differ from being small to heavy associated with clots.
- The bleeding gets followed by uterine cramps.
- Menstruating with no fixed interval of time.
- Frequent menstruation that lasts for many days.
- Increase in the usual flow of blood.
- Discomfort or itchy sensation in the uterus.
- Feeling of nausea and dizziness during and after the time of bleeding.
- Abdominal pain.
- The formation of pus in the uterus.
Causes For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding :
The causes for abnormal uterine bleeding are :
- The state f being pregnant.
- Presence of small and large polyps and the fibroids that are present in the uterus cause bleeding.
- Imbalance in the thyroid causes this problem.
- Cervix infection and uterine cancer can also causes the bleeding.
- Getting rid of the endometrial layer causes heavy bleeding.
- Menopause characterized by the therapy of hormone replacement.
Identification Of The DUB :
The doctor will first show an interest to know about the person’s medical history and also the various symptoms that clearly suggest a reason for the abnormal bleeding and other hormonal imbalances. The doctor may perform various tests to examine for these sources of abnormal bleeding textural pattern.
- In the case of pregnant women their urine and blood samples are taken.
- Blood tests are taken for the patients to see if they have abnormalities of thyroid and prolactin hormones.
- In the case of middle aged women their blood samples are tested to see if their esterogen level is decreasing. It is a sign of menopause.
- An ultrasound probe will be placed inside the women’s vagina to check the ovaries, uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and vagina. It also measures the endometrial lining.
- It is also checked to see if it any sign for the development of cancer in women over 35. Questions are asked to see if they had breast cancer and colon cancer and if anyone within the strong family history suffered from cancers.
- Women who did not have a single period in six months are checked using an endometrial biopsy. The practitioner with a speculum examinest the cervix. To collect the tissue sample a thin tube is inserted through the cervix into the uterus along the endometrial layer. The tissues sample is then examined to see if it is cancer.
- For the women with low iron level in their body, the iron tablets and iron rich foods are suggested.
Treatment For Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding :
- In the case of treating dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) the condition of normal cycles gets restored.
- Or else the treatment is done to improve the cause. The quantity of blood bleeding and the idea of the woman’s future reproductive plans are also used as the deciding factors of the treatment.
- The amount of bleeding can be decreased by the use of birth control pills that merge and regulate the hormones estrogen and progesterone. Some doctors suggested the woman to take monthly pills having progesterone only. To those women wishing to be pregnant are treated with medicines that help their ovaries to regularly ovulate.
- Administering with increased doses of hormone of either estrogen or progesterone the problem of heavy bleeding can be curbed. Hospitalization is necessary for more severe bleeding.
- If the doses of hormones do not work, surgical methods of dilation and curettage can be used to hinder grave cases of bleeding. The tissue lining of the uterus is detached in order to allow a healthier lining to be substituted.
- If an endometrial hyperplasia is found through the endometrial biopsy careful supervision with necessary treatment is needed. Endometrial hyperplasia is a condition in which the endometrial lining becomes thicker and abnormal looking. It is particularly found in elderly and women who have passed their menopause. It also affects the women on the therapy of hormone replacement. It makes a woman to be prone to the risks of being affected by endometrial cancer.
Prevention of DUB :
No absolute methods are used to hinder this problem. A woman must consult a doctor immediately if she pursues to have irregular periods. Early identification and treatment helps to regulate periods to improve the overall health. The doctors may prescribe effective treatments to regulate the periods and to curb irregular bleeding. To those who have difficulty becoming pregnant the ovulation stimulating drugs are used. Although being sexually active women have to be aware from being pregnant.