Colonoscopy is mostly misunderstood by the people of the world. Some people have a calloused opinion that colon cancer is the disease that only affects the old people. Though considered relevant, it is not correct. Colon cancer affects the people of all age groups. The colonoscopy is a medical method in which a small camera is fitted at the end of a tube like apparatus and is made to go into the body with the help of the opening of the anus. It monitors the colon and the rectum parts of the body. This helps to get an exact image of those regions of the body. The complications, if present, will be examined in the lab and will be subjected to further treatments. The samples of the tissues if necessary are taken to be assured of the implication.
Check: Organ donation Pros & Cons
There are examined in the clinical labs and the doctors analyses the conditions. Accordingly after the suspicion of the cancer, the doctors will treat the patients with the biopsy. Sometimes the tissue will be removed. This helps him to be relieved off the problems again. Apart from the colonoscopy method there are other methods such as fecal DNA tests that generally tell one of the presencea of colon cancer. The colonoscopy will be used as a test that confirms the presence of the cancer that is found by the alternative treatments.
The doctors are of the opinion that a person must start to screen or have a test right from the age of fifty for the presence of any colon cancer. The colonoscopy has its deemed advantages and disadvantages that make the people to hesitate or use it for their treatments.
Pros of Colonoscopy:
The beneficial advantages that a person derives from the colonoscopy are as follows:
- Even though there are many techniques to examine or detect the presence of the colon cancer, this colonoscopy is considered to be the best.
- The colonoscopy confirms the presence of the other underlying problems like irritable bowel syndrome, piles, ulcers and other inflammations.
- It provides the doctor with the ample number of information about the knowledge of the colon and rectum of the patient.
- Sedation helps the patient to be comfortable throughout the process of the colonoscopy.
- No discomfort is felt by the patient even after the end of the operation.
- Due to the advancement of technology, the camera works in two ways as a camera that captures the tools and also as a tool that does surgeries.
- The camera can be used to gather the samples of tissues and also to perform biopsies to prevent the further discomfort in the body of the patient.
- This helps in the early diagnosis of the cancer in the colon. Not only that it also helps to detect the polyps that have a bad reputation to develop into a cancer in no time.
- The polyps are removed by the process of polypectomy.
- Gastrointestinal diseases can also be detected by the colonoscopy.
- It provides a visual view of the cancer in the colon and the rectum.
- Though being the safe and the best treatment, it is an invasive procedure.
- It normally requires the assist of a person. This may result in the loss of pay or waste of time in some cases of their instances.
- The patient will have to be driven home after it by another one.
- For the body to be prepared for the colonoscopy, it must be cleansed with the help of a special laxative medicine that cleanses the bowel and the rectum.
- The serious complications of the colonoscopy include both types of bleeding; piercing scars and it is the cause of death in most of the people.
- Though death is rare but still it has to be considered.
- Not all people benefit from the use of the sedation. So even the excess of sedation will also result in the deterioration of the health of the patient.
- Improper sedation leads to the patient being awake during the process and the feeling of pain by them.
- The special diet regimen that has to be maintained by the people before the colonoscopy test is enough to soar the stress of them to greater heights.
- It does not allow for the collection of the samples of the tissues naturally.
- Most elderly persons will not have the wits to bear the treatment.
- The patients generally freak out during the treatments.
- Sometimes the surgical apparatus and the instruments are not sterilized properly and so they will result in the infections in the people. Once set they will harm the body from within and have a huge negative impact in the body.
- There are other equally beneficial non-invasive procedures such as the CT scan colonoscopy that can be used instead of it.
It is the best procedure to find the presence of the colon cancer but the very methodical procedure is not appreciated by the people. That is why people wish to be privileged by the various alternate procedures of treatment. Though it depends upon the wish of the person completely, the detection of an anomaly will result in the maximization of one’s survival rate.