Liver is said to be the second largest organ in the internal parts of the body. The main work of liver is to process the food nutrients that the humans get from foods that they get from eating and drinking. The liver filters the harmful substances of the body. In that process the cells of the liver break down and the liver regenerates the cells by itself. The liver is made up of fats like most of the other parts of the body. The increase in about five to ten percent of fat leads to accumulation of fat. This condition is also called as fatty liver.
This causes permanent scarring and damage in the liver. But this condition can be treatable or reversible. This condition almost shows no symptoms to the person affected by it. This is the result of the process of being there in the liver for years together. The problem of liver cirrhosis can be usually diagnosed when a person goes for the treatment of another problem. It is a common issue in many people. Some people have more fat in their liver but show no signs and symptoms of fatty liver. Fatty liver poses no threat but it is very serious when it is characterized by swellings. This issue can be detected in people between the ages of forty and sixty.
The accumulation in the fatty liver can be caused by a number of factors. One among that is associated with alcohol. This condition is called as an alcoholic fatty liver disease or alcoholic steatohepatitis. Or else the condition is termed as non alcoholic fatty liver disease or non alcoholic steatohepatitis. It is shortened as NASH.
It has commonly been said that eating fat rich foods results in fatty liver. But it is not so. Though the exact reason is unknown, the reasons that are said to be the cause are the assimilation of fat by the liver from the other parts of the body. Or the inability of the liver to change the fat into a form that can be purged from the body.
Fatty Liver Symptoms:
The fatty liver can be associated with no symptoms. But the buildup of excess fat brings about various symptoms which people mistake it to be the symptoms of some other disease.
The symptoms include :
- The accumulation of fats on the liver. This gets detected when the doctors administers the patient for some other problem. The quantity of fat is abnormal and causes discomfort in the life of the patient. This causes discomforts like nausea, fatigue and weakness to the person.
- The non alcoholic liver disease is split into two parts namely isolated liver disease in which there is only accumulation of fats. The other one is NASH that is characterized by the presence of the inflammations in addition to the fat storage.
- The obesity factor like abdominal obesity is highly linked in the formation of fatty liver.
- Diabetic patients are more prone to the fatty liver because the high level of glucose affects the liver in such a way that it forms settlements on the liver.
- Insulin is a hormone that fosters protection from the high sugar level in the blood. Some people develop high resistance to the insulin. This factor activates the fatty liver and stays for some time. But with the interference of some other factors like bacterial infections and imbalances in the hormones can causes the fatty liver disease.
- The condition of increased level of fat in the blood called as hyperlipidemia also results in the fatty liver disease. The constant supply of fat to the liver from the liver also results in the damaging of the liver.
- The irregular levels of cholesterol like increased level of bad cholesterol and the decreased level of good cholesterol and the presence of triglycerides also activate the underlying problems of fatty liver disease.
- Increased consumption of alcohol or alcoholic drinks is said to be the major factor of the liver damage. This is the primary reason for the damage of the liver in most of the people.
- Hypertension also causes the NASH in some people. This can be treated by giving doses for the treatment of the high blood pressure to lower it down and also to cure the liver simultaneously.
- Gastrointestinal tract is the tract that starts from the mouth and ends in the rectum. Any seepage of blood or bleeding can result in the activation of fatty liver disease.
- People affected by jaundice must be sure to check the condition of their livers or else it will lead to the fatty liver disease. Because jaundice gets set in a person due to the increased level of bilirubin secreted from the liver. So it is wise to check and cure the liver if there is any damage to it.
- Mental problems like encephalopathy, anorexia and brain damages also cause the fatty liver disease.
- Sometimes a grave disease often causes fatty liver. Liver cancer damages the liver cells and causes it to behave abnormally. This also results in cirrhosis.
- Sometimes the people experience symptoms like malaise that are difficult to explain. The malaise can also be a symptom of the fatty liver problem.
- Pregnant ladies are also prone to the problem of fatty liver disease. They must regularly check the entire body as problems lurk in their most unexpected areas.
- The accumulation of fluid like ascites and edema also cause the build up of fat in the liver.
- Sudden loss in weight is a sure sign that the liver is being affected.
- Malnutrition leads to improper working of all the body parts. The liver is no exception and it affects it also. The liver due to the lack of nutrition suffers most and works in an abnormal way of storing the fats, thereby causing the building up of fats on it.
- The increased use of certain medicines and drugs like acetaminophen leads to the cirrhosis of the liver. They alter the basic work of the liver and induce it to accumulate more fats from the body.
- Smoking is also said to be the reasons for the damage of the liver.